The Scranton lace company was founded in 1897 in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and became the largest manufacturer of Nottingham lace in the world. Nottingham lace was known for its intricate designs and was used in clothing, tablecloths, curtains, and other decorative items.
The company grew rapidly and by the early 1900s, it employed over 1600 workers and had a reputation for producing parachutes for the military and became a major supplier for the war effort.
However, by the 1950’s and 1960’s, the demand for lace began to decline and the company was sold to private investors who attempted to modernize the manufacturing process and diversify the company’s product line.
Despite these efforts, the company continued to struggle and in the 2000’s, it was forced to file for bankruptcy. The factory closed abruptly, mid-shift in 2002 and the historic buildings fell into disrepair.